Thursday, April 18, 2013

Apr 9, 2013 Running into Sister Megan Parkinson Wk 10

Well, it feels like we've been here a long time, and though maybe in my letters it has come off that I don't totally love it here in the MTC, I do. It's really great. Nevertheless, we are really excited to get out of here and head on out to Cambodia next Tuesday! We leave the MTC at 4:30 in the afternoon, leave the USA a couple hours before midnight on Tuesday and then arrive in Hong Kong around 6 in the morning on Thursday. We pretty much skip a whole day in the air. Pretty weird. We should get to Cambodia around 10:30 and then we're off! I'm completely stoked.  I'm not going to understand anything, the food is going to make me sick, it's going to absolutely insane but I'm going to have so much fun.

 We got to watch all 5 sessions of Conference last week and it was great. I've never enjoyed conference so much! Before it started I felt that I should write a few questions down that had been bugging me about my teaching and listen for answers, and they had answers for me! It was so great to see such an obvious example of inspiration through the words of prophets and apostles.

 I particularly like Elder Holland's talk about faith. The story about the 14 year old boy who told Elder Holland, "I don't know if it's true, but I believe it is," was really powerful for me. We've been taught here in the MTC by so many people who have such sure testimonies about the reality of Christ and His atonement and our Father in Heaven that in comparison, my own testimony of these truths seems rather shaky. It was a really awesome lesson for me to relearn that believing and acting on that belief is good enough. Alma taught that "even if ye can no more than desire to believe, let this desire work in you" and that is so important to remember! When in doubt, hold on to what you already know and desire to believe, desire to have faith and God will help you.

 On a completely unrelated note, our Sunday night devotional this week was Vocal Point. Man, they really are just so good. In addition to their singing being awesome, which pretty much goes without saying, their testimonies were great too. It was all very personal because they had all served missions before, some of them pretty recently, and really understood what was going through our minds here and now. I can imagine it was a pretty strange experience for them as well, having been in our seats watching devotionals just like us and then just a few short years later being up on that same stage which has been shared by so many many amazing, faithful men and women. I don't really know, but it was pretty cool. I love y'all! Thanks for writing! You guys are the best.  Elder Vore

Shortly before leaving the MTC, Elder Vore got to be a host missionary to welcome new missionaries entering the MTC.  He was lucky enough to be able to help a friend, Sister Megan Parkinson, bring her luggage into the MTC after just saying goodbye to her family.






Elder Vore and Sister Parkinson ran into each other a few days later on their way to the temple.

No comments:

Post a Comment