Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Mar 12, 2013 Practicing to Teach

Hey guys! I don't know if it feels like a long time since I've written for y'all but two weeks has flown by for me here! A General Authority (I forgot who, try not to judge) said something along the lines of "In the MTC, the days feel like years and the weeks like seconds". Sooooooo true. The days drag on endlessly but every time it's Sunday again, or P-day or any little event, it feels like it just happened yesterday. Weird.

 This past week we've really been focused on reading. You know, speaking Khmae isn't actually very difficult. It's not. But reading is really a nightmare for us as we're trying so hard to learn. It feels like every word block (Kmae doesn't have spaces between words, spaces separate ideas like, "and by the power of God" or "and it came to pass")  I run into a symbol that I don't recognize and have to go back to the chart and realize that I memorized it last week, and come on I know that! Pretty frustrating and totally exhausting. 

Elder Peterson talked to a doctor on Friday and then left rather abruptly to go home and get surgery. He'll be back in a couple of months, but until then he's out with the missionaries in his home ward. Because he lives in California he even has missionaries that speak our language! Lucky kid. 

We are continuing to teach our teachers during "progressing investigator" time almost every day. They are acting as people they knew from their missions and don't speak any English. Not like they speak English to us very often anyway, but it's great practice and really spiritual. When you strip away all the flowery words that we would say in English but can't in Khmae, all you have left is truth. God loves us. He sent His son to die for our sins so we could live with Him again. God has given us prophets throughout time to teach his gospel. The teachings of these prophets are found in the scriptures. I know that as we follow Christ's example and the teachings of the prophets we will be happy and can return to Heaven and live with our Father in Heaven. So simple. So true.


Adam's companion, Elder Khem

 We often practice what to do the very first time we're meeting someone or the first time we're teaching a lesson. For about 90% of the people we talk to, it's going to be the first time they've every learned about Jesus Christ or even heard of him. We are going to a place where the gospel of Christ just isn't found very often.  I know that as we do what is right and strive to keep the commandments and live worthy of the companionship of the Holy Ghost that our mouths will be opened and filled and that we can teach with the power of God. It's a good thing too, because I might be pretty useless by myself. I don't know much else to say other than be happy! You guys have the truth! Isn't it great? I love y'all. Hope you're enjoying school, and work and family time and all those things that I'm missing out on.  

No comments:

Post a Comment